[Durham INC] Durham City Council Appoints Interim City Manager

PublicAffairs PublicAffairs at durhamnc.gov
Wed Aug 12 14:01:01 EDT 2020

[Title: City of Durham Office of Public Affairs logo]
News Media Contact
Beverly B. Thompson, Public Affairs Director, City of Durham
919.475.2362 (mobile)
Beverly.Thompson at DurhamNC.gov<mailto:Beverly.Thompson at DurhamNC.gov>

News Release
For Immediate Release: August 12, 2020

Durham City Council Appoints Interim City Manager

DURHAM, N.C. - The Durham City Council has appointed Deputy City Manager Wanda Page<https://durhamnc.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2540> to act as the interim city manager beginning October 1.

On Sunday, August 2, City Manager Tom Bonfield notified the City Council of his retirement effective September 30<https://durhamnc.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2530>. Bonfield is retiring from his position after serving for 12 years as the city manager. Page will serve in this interim role while the City Council begins a national search for a new city manager.

"We are so lucky to have Deputy City Manager Wanda Page step in as our interim city manager while we search for a permanent successor to Tom Bonfield. The City Council gave Wanda our unanimous support for the interim position, and we could not be in better hands," said Mayor Steve Schewel. "Wanda has vast experience, rock-solid judgment, deep knowledge of our government and our community, and the trust and support of the entire organization."

Page joined the City of Durham in 1987 as a senior staff accountant and then served as assistant finance director/controller from 1999 to 2002. From 2002 to 2006, she served as the internal audit director, and then served as assistant city manager from 2006 to 2008. Page has served as one-of-three deputy city managers since 2008.

Page is a 1982 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she earned a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. She later earned a master's degree in Business Administration from North Carolina Central University in 1995.

She has been an International City/County Management Association (ICMA) credentialed manager since 2010, and is also licensed by the North Carolina State Board Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Examiners and the Institute of Internal Auditors as a certified internal auditor.

Page currently serves on the executive board of the Lincoln Community Health Center Foundation and on the MPA Advisory Board of the Public Administration Department at North Carolina Central University.

###

[Title: City of Durham Office of Public Affairs contact information]