[MCIC Safety] FORKLIFT MIRRORS

Dick McDonald dmcdonald at shurtape.com
Tue Apr 22 08:16:57 EDT 2008

Forklift mirror question - 4 to 2 against. Thanks to all who responded.
Feel free to add to the mix...

Original question...

I have a forklift controversy brewing and would like your input to this
question; forklift rearview mirrors - good, bad or just plain ugly?
OSHA and company policy states one must look and keep a clear view in
the direction of travel. To me that means face the direction of travel.
However, an accepted forklift accessory is the rear view mirror. The
good could be ability to check to the rear when traveling forward or
sitting in place; checking to the left in the mirror, for example, and
then turning to look over your right shoulder before backing. The bad
would be the use the rear view mirror while backing.  The ugly would be
the temptation to use the mirror for backing, and having to add "do not
use mirrors when backing" to training. What do you all think?

Response 1

We don't have mirrors on our forklifts.  We teach operators to look over
their shoulder when traveling backwards.  We require them to travel
backwards when the load obstructs their view unless they are using a
spotter.  Frankly, as fast as most people run the forklifts, I can't
imagine trying to use a mirror to go backwards.  To me, that's an
accident waiting to happen.

Response 2

Have never felt the need for a mirror with any sit down forklift that I
operated because it's not like a car where you can't turn around and
always see what you need to due to the roof and back windows, etc.  In a
forklift, you should be able to turn around and see what you need to.
Forklift rules are clear that you "face the direction of travel".  The
driver must be interactive with the different loads and blockages of
view from the rear or the front.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with mirrors so I can't say if they
would be a problem or not.  I think the question is...why is someone
pushing for mirrors unless there is a valid reason that good operating
practices aren't addressing for a particular scenario of forklift use.

Response 3

We have rear view mirrors installed on our fork lifts. We found that for
those people (particularly the warehouse workers) that were on the lift
truck all day, we were seeing a lot of neck strain problems. The mirrors
have helped to eliminate that problem.

Response 4

Mirrors were brought up at one of our safety meetings.  We discussed the
pros and the cons and decided that the cons (basically the temptation to
use the mirror when backing) much outweighed the pros.  In short, we
decided not to use them.

Response 5

Our discussions led to the opposite result.  We put them on forklifts,
especially the warehouse lifts, because of the significant amount of
traffic in the area and the need to be able to see where people are/are
going.  Employees are still required to face the direction of travel for
going in reverse

Response 6

When I managed the Suggestion Plan, Vision Quest and Bright Ideas
programs, "mirrors" for fork lifts were suggested many times--rear view
and side mirrors.   Each time, the idea was declined.

The concensus was that drivers could rely on the mirrors versus turning
and looking in the direction of travel for pedestrians, other lifts and
IPC's.   Blind spots were also a concern, in conjunction with relying on
mirrors.  The likelihood of the mirrors being hit and broken was also a
concern---at that time.

In addition to Osha Standard 1910.178(n)(6) referred to below: (The
driver shall be required to look in the direction of, and keep a clear
view of the path of travel), could

Osha Standard 1910.178(q)(6) apply?:

"Industrial trucks shall not be altered so that the relative positions
of the various parts are different from what they were when received
from the manufacturer, nor shall they be altered either by the addition
of extra parts, or by the elimination of any parts, except as provided
in paragraph (q)(12)......

    (q)(12) - refers to converting trucks originally approved for
gasoline to a liquefied petroleum gas fuel....

Thanks,

Dick McDonald
Shurtape Technologies, LLC            Environment, Health & Safety
Office: (828) 325 - 5228
Fax: (828) 325 - 5387