[MCIC Safety] Summary of Answers to Recent Question

[MCIC] Jim Kuszaj jim at mcicnc.org
Wed Feb 15 11:24:16 EST 2012

Question:
Do you have Class I Division I or II (flammable
vapor) areas of electrical classification and if
so, how do you treat the use of small battery
powered devices in those areas, such as cell
phones, flashlights, radios, and the like?

1. Our company requires that battery, operated
devices such as flashlights and radios be UL
rated for these areas. We do not allow cell
phones in these areas. The devices must carry
markings that certify usage in these areas.

2. We constantly remind site personnel to “turn
off” cellphones, and only allow the use of
intrinsically safe equipment in such areas.  When
we have the need to use non-rated equipment we
will implement the use of our Hot Work procedure as a control measure.

3. They are not allowed unless classified as “intrinsically safe”.

4. All devices that are allowed in the rated area
that you mention need to be rated for the
specific rating of the area, see 1910.307, and NFPA 70
..

5. In a previous life, I worked at the largest
chemical plant in the Northeast.  Most of the
plant was Class 1 Div 2.  The simple answer is
you must use electrical devices properly rated
for the environment; in this case Div 2 or
better.  We used explosion proof flashlights,
radios UL rated for Class 1 Div 1 and did not
allow cell phones into rated areas since they are
neither UL rated nor intrinsically safe.

6. Based on the hazard, flammable vapor, dust,
gas, the devices need to fit the rating eg. Intrinsically safe rated devices.

Jim

James M. Kuszaj, Ph.D., J.D.
Director of Communications
Manufacturers and Chemical Industry Council of North Carolina
620 N. West Street, Suite 101
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603
Telephone: 919-834-9459
Fax: 919-834-8268