INC NEWS - Re: [durhaminc] [Fwd: Durham's Solid Waste Management Director Accepts Alabama Post]

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 18:22:16 EST 2005

the amount of revenue generated by the yard waste program in FY 04 was
approximately 19,000 (participating households) X $50, or about
$950,000. In FY 05 it appears to be declining (14,000 x $60 = $840,000).

To generate that much revenue from each of Durham's approximately
80,000 households would mean about $12/household, if it were divided
equally without regard to property value. An equitable assessment based
on property value might require a property tax hike of $20 - 30/year on
the most expensive houses, and $2 - 3/year on the lowest valued
property. I'm just guessing here, but my guess is that most of the
households that were participating in the yard waste program were in
the higher assessment range.

Personally, that seems reasonable to me, though I can't speak for the
Neighborhood Association at this time. We will discuss this at our
February meeting.

barry ragin