INC NEWS - Fw: MOMart call for artists and reserve April 29 & 30th for a fun community event

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:40:23 EST 2005

If you haven't participated in an annual MOMart event over the last two
years,  you're given an opportunity to do so next month.

If you are an artist and would like some more 'exposure',  then MOMart maybe
a wonderful venue to present your craft(s).

If you are a community person and you'd like to support a real grassroots
group of people who don't want anything more than to help others,  then
please consider coming out and joining this fanatastic set of friends on
Friday April 29 and Saturday April 30th for a fun filled evening and fund
raising event.

mike shiflett

ps- Please forward!

>From Elizabeth Mahanna

Dear Artist, Craftsperson, or Plantsperson,

We are writing to announce our call for artists/craftspeople/plantspeople
for the 3rd Annual MOMArt sale, hosted by Just a Few Friends, a local
community nonprofit in Durham. Just a Few Friends was founded to support
local artists and to raise money for community charities in need of
supplemental funding. At our first show, we raised nearly $5000 for the
Durham Rescue Mission. Last year we raised $10,000 for Urban Ministries of
Durham. We would like to double our goal again-this year for the Exchange
Clubs' Family Center of Durham, a community nonprofit that supports families
(see www.exchangefamilycenter.org).

Some of you receiving this letter participated in the 2003 and 2004 shows.
If this is your first year participating, welcome. MOMArt is a well-attended
event with many eager philanthropists and art patrons, as well as people
shopping for Mother's Day gifts.

Our sale is a two-day event, always the weekend before Mother's Day (hence
the name MOMArt-you don't have to be a mom to sell at our show!). This
year's event will be held on Friday and Saturday (4/29-30). Friday we will
host a preview party, charging patrons $10 at the door. Artists, of course,
do not pay, though we do hope you will invite your friends, families, and
patrons to attend. Last year, Whole Foods, Costco, and Fowler's donated
food, and wine was served. It was a smashing success, with the door raising
more than $2,000 and our artists selling much of what was on display that
night.

All day Saturday is an open house that features outdoor arts and crafts such
as container gardens, plants, and garden art in addition to the jewelry,
paintings, stained glass, photography, textiles, and pottery all of you will
be selling.

If you would like to participate in the sale this year, here is what we'll
need from you:

1. Confirmation by March 30 that you will be participating. Please email us
(tammi.brooks at earthlink.net) or call (919-489-5888).

2. A rough inventory of all items you plan to sell.

3. Business cards or some sort of contact information that attendees can
take away with them. Many of our artists from last year reported sales from
folks who took a business card. Be sure to mention your medium on your card;
and include phone number and email/web-site address, if available.

4. A brief biography (a paragraph or two) for our Web site (currently under
construction)and to be displayed near your work during the event.

5. If you have digital photographs of your work that we can display on our
Web site, we would love to have them.

We request that artists donate a minimum of 25 percent and up to 100 percent
of your sales to this year's chosen charity. We will send out price tags for
you to use to tag your art and will require you to return an inventory that
matches the tags no later than April 15. If you decide to add pieces after
the deadline, no problem; we'll have tags at the show and can add pieces to
your inventory list, but we discovered at last year's show that sales didn't
always match inventories, and we do not want you to lose out on any sales
because we don't have an accurate inventory.

Please call Tammi Brooks at 919-489-5888 or email her at
tammi.brooks at earthlink.net if you have any questions or concerns and to
confirm your participation this year. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Just a Few Friends:
Katherine Bliss, Tammi Brooks, Christine Cleveland, Elizabeth Mahanna, Mary
Scott Campbell Soo, Debbie Katt, and Thuy Brooks