INC NEWS - Re: INC NEWS

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 10:34:59 EST 2005

Speaking as a representative of a neighborhood which has spent much of the past seven years attempting to get the City of Durham to spend the money approved by the voters in the 1996 bond issue to renovate our neighborhood park, let me say that the Board of the Duke Park Neighborhood Association has unanimously voted to support the Erwin Area Neighborhood Groups' efforts to preserve the Duke Tract from development. We are not a particularly well-funded Association, but we have encouraged our members to contribute to this effort, and have agreed to match the first $250 pledged from our neighborhood with Neighborhood Association funds.

Speaking as an individual, I made my choice of where to live in the Triangle 12 years ago, based in large part on proximity to the neighborhood park at Duke Park. So I am very much aware of the City's ongoing difficulty in maintaining its current park base, especially in the urban neighborhoods. My children, who were toddlers when I moved here,
have now outgrown any possible use they might get from the renovations currently underway at Duke Park.

But that discussion is irrelevant, a red herring to the issue at hand. Which is whether the City should join with the other local governments (Orange County, Durham County, and the Town of Chapel Hill) in acquiring this land for future use as a park.

It is important that we recognize the long-term implications of allowing this tract to be developed. To answer Richard's question, it is my understanding that the adjacent 60+ acres, which has been offered as a conservation easement, will not be so offered if the sale of the Duke tract to the developer goes through. It is likely, if not inevitable, that continued development along the New Hope Creek corridor will occur throughout the next 10 - 20 years, if this tract is developed. This will have a profound impact on the entire region, not only environmentally, but on the character and feel of our community.

It is quite easy
to engage in the zero-sum game of saying "my neighborhood is still waiting for this or that, and that until we get it we can't support your neighborhood's requests", and that is understandable. Business as usual in Durham politics requires us to advocate for our specific neighborhood's needs in order to see any substantive change. But this sort of advocacy serves to pit us against one another. It prevents us from making decisions based on the good of the entire community, and rewards those subgroups which are better able to take advantage of the system at the expense of those groups which are not.

It's unfortunate that the decision to acquire this land or leave it to be developed must be made in such a short period of time. Ideally, having a 10 year plan for the acquisition and development of a regional park makes sense. But the reality is that the time frame for making this decision is short, and shrinking.

Every year we celebrate the foresight of those founding members o
f the Eno River Association, whose work to save that land from development has helped to preserve the character of the northern end of the city. That work laid the groundwork for the successful efforts of many of our neighborhoods to oppose the Eno Loop, which in turn allowed us to successfully lobby for the East End Connector, a road which will alleviate some of our urban neighborhood traffic problems when it is built.

We don't know what benefits will accrue to the Durham/Orange region twenty years from now from the acquisition of this tract. We do know that this will be a profoundly different place depending on our actions over the next few weeks.

Barry Ragin
DPNA president
1706 Shawnee St.
Durham