INC NEWS - history in the making

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Mar 9 13:02:57 EST 2005

Monday night at our monthly Forest Hills Neighborhood Association Board
meeting, our neighborhood will adopt a resolution very simular to the one
adopted by INC in support of EANG efforts to save a piece of history, help
protect our watershed, and create at natural park in their overly
developed neighborhood. It warms my heart to see so many from across this
City and County supporting this effort as well.

Barry Ragin mentions that we don't know what will happen to this land in
20 years. Well, it was back in 1991 when these same governments came
together and adopted the New Hope Corridor Plan which looked into the
future and determined that this land needed to be protected for the
future. That was an entirely different group of politicians who were wise
enough then, to believe the following years would see this area impacted
by development. Saving this land is not a new idea or plan. But seeing the
wisdom these governments had in 1991 is. Their beliefs came to be
realized. This area has seen an enormous amout of development since the
1991 Plan. Space in this area is growing less each year. And if this land
is developed, the history these governments sought to protect in 1991 will
be gone as well.

I think, when we refer to what we want this (being the city and county)
area to look like, we are now on the 2030 plan (as in the year 2030). We
are looking that far ahead in time to assure some things will be saved,
some things will be planned, and somethings will go the way of the
bulldozer. If we choose to look so far ahead, we must do it for a reason.
And it's for the same reason these four governments created their Plan
back in 1991. They knew things were going to change and sought to protect
this Corridor. They just need to be reminded that, as those politicians
who filled their seats back then, they must look out for the future of our
area and not disregard the vision of those who came before them.

Randy Pickle
Forest Hills