INC NEWS - final countdown for Duke tract

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sat Apr 2 00:34:26 EST 2005

Are there other neighborhoods out there besides Duke Park, Trinity Park,
Northgate Park, and Forest Hills who took on my neighborhood challenge to
support the Erwin Area Neighborhood Group in their quest to save the Duke
land from development and create a natural park in the place of houses? If
so, let me know so I can add you to the website and mention your
neighborhood as we go before the County Commisissioners and City Council
of Durham on Monday.

Orange County ($125,000 plus an additional $75,000 in additional land
purchased from Duke adjacent to the Duke tract; plus offered more support
in the line of maintenance and creation of a natural park) and Chapel Hill
($100,000) have both stepped and Monday it will be Durham who will ask to
support this. I will be sad to be a part of this community if for some
reason they don't. I have no doubt Durham County will. They have been the
leader in this quest from the beginning. But the City always seems to be a
question. That's why it's important to know if there are other
neighborhoods I haven't included so the City will know how much support
there is for this project.

EANG has managed to get pledges, land additions, conservation easements,
and support that has a dollar figure equal to what the four governments
are being asked to provide. This has been a whole lot of effort by a whole
lot of people to make this happen. EANG has raised (in pledges) more than
$127,000 so far on their way to the goal of $200,000. This is a feat in
itself. More info on the quest can be found at  www.erwinneighbor.org

Thanks,
Randy Pickle
Forest Hills