INC NEWS - DOT carrying a grudge? (Herald-Sun letter)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 4 09:21:42 EDT 2005

DOT carrying a grudge?
Herald-Sun letter

I was astonished to pick up the newspaper March 30 and read Ginny Skalski's
article that the N.C. DOT is still dragging its heels on the East End
Connector. Let's recap: The connector has been on the state's books since
1959. It is supported, indeed requested, by an overwhelming majority of the
city's citizen organizations. The city and county governments, as well as
the Durham region MPO, all consider it the highest priority road project in
the county. It will provide an alternate route for the dangerous cut-through
traffic that now plagues our urban neighborhoods. It will hasten development
in areas of the city that need it. It will encourage trips into downtown
Durham, instead of through downtown Durham. So why is DOT so reluctant? Is
DOT nursing a grudge because Durham citizens successfully lobbied against
their pet Eno Drive project? And why is our appointed representative to the
State Transportation Board so willing to let this project slide? Shouldn't
DOT be serving the citizens?

BARRY RAGIN
DURHAM
April 4, 2005
The writer is president of the Duke Park Neighborhood Association.

[For more information about the East End Connector, visit:
www.DurhamLoop.org ]