INC NEWS - Buying and maintaining park land

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 13:37:09 EDT 2005

I support the city of Durham and Durham County developing a comprehensive
plan for where park land ought to be bought throughout the city of Durham
and Durham County.  The governments¹ budgets would than need to include the
purchasing of these additional lands.  In the meantime additional monies
ought to be allocated for the maintaining the park land we have now.

The situation the city of Durham and Durham County are faced with today is
we have the opportunity to purchase 44 acres of Duke Forest with each of the
4 governmental entities (Mayor of Durham, Durham City Council, Durham County
Commissioners, Chapel Hill Town Council and Orange County Commissioners)
contributing a nominal amount towards the purchase of New Hope Creek Park.
(The city only needs to invest $25,000 per year for 3 years.)  If city and
county do not act today this opportunity will be lost forever.  We do not
have time to wait for a long range plan.  (The Orange County Commissioners
agreed to take the following actions: Contribute $125,000 toward the
purchase of the 44 acre Duke tract, purchase another 8 acre Duke for $72,000
and take responsibility for any additional cost for the 25 acres of Penny
land, not covered by a TLC grant.)

I have a couple of other wishes that relate to the proposed park land.  I
would hope that Duke University will give Erwin Area Neighborhood Group, a
citizen¹s  group, additional time to find the rest of the funds necessary to
buy the property.  (These monies would come from grant sources as well as
individuals.)  If the monies necessary to purchase the park land do not come
through I would like the 25 acres of Wade and Carolyn Pennys¹ property, now
on the table, to be offered at a lesser price.

Laura Drey
1419 Dollar Ave
Resident of Trinity Park