INC NEWS - DOT carrying a grudge? (Herald-Sun letter)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 4 18:21:31 EDT 2005

Pat and all,

1. INC passed a unanimous resolution in support of the East End Connector in
July 2002.

2. It is true that DOT is redistributing transportation money to rural areas
of NC, under their 'equity formula' policy. This results in less
transportation spending planned for the Triangle (and other urban areas in
NC).

However the East End Connector (EEC) is funded by the state Highway Trust
Fund - which is IMMUNE to the state equity formula. Therefore the EEC is not
competing with most other non-trust fund roads in the Triangle for funding.
It comes from a special pot of money.

The truth is that DOT has made an internal political decision to put other
Highway Trust Fund projects in NC ahead of the EEC, despite the fact that
the EEC is the oldest unbuilt highway in the entire state, dating back to
1959.

INC supported the EEC because it will divert cut-through traffic off many
neighborhood streets in Durham.

Thanks to the support of INC and many other neighborhoods, community
organizations, and citizens, the EEC is the top highway priority for the
City and County of Durham and the regional MPO.

Caleb

Ps: I agree with you that it would be good policy to use our projected
transportation spending to constrain our land-use planning. However the
transportation plans are developed based on the land use plans, not the
other way around. This is a classic chicken and egg situation.