INC NEWS - West Nile Virus and flying pests

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Tue Apr 5 20:49:05 EDT 2005

This issue came up today on our list server so it may be a good solution
for your neighborhood as well. Feel free to pass it on.

Some 25 years ago in Maine, we implemented what has become know today as
the "bat farm". Bats live in simple structures that can easily be built or
bought. Bats eat somewhere around 5000 insects a night in their feeding
cycle. You do the math. They have been enormously successful in cutting
down the number of flying pests we have there. And we have have bats here
as well. So get them a house and let them start helping. We have found no
drawback in having them around. They have become good neighbors because of
what they do.

RW Pickle
Forest Hills