INC NEWS - FW from ABCD listserver: Cyclist Mugged on American Tobacco Trail

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon May 30 23:58:38 EDT 2005

  -----Original Message-----
From: LyFontana at aol.com [mailto:LyFontana at aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 1:36 PM
To: pac2 at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Cyclist Mugged on American Tobacco Trail

I thought I should get the word out in case anybody is going for a ride
this evening.  I don't know how to send this to all the other listserves,
so would somebody please do that?

Yesterday, at precisely 7 pm, I was mugged on the American Tobacco Trail
between Roxboro and Otis streets (almost to Otis) by four black teenagers
estimated to be between 15 and 17 years old, wearing a lot of red.  At
least two had "do-rags."  The M.O. is as follows.  Two were on bicycles
and two on foot, milling around in the center of the road.  They appeared
to be moving back to make way for me to come through, then one on a bike
pretended to lose his balance and dropped his bike across the right hand
side of the lane.  Another stood off to the left so that I would have to
ride between him and the downed bicycle.  I think the one who dropped the
bike, who was in all black clothing, then crouched down in a football
lineman stance, and as I went by he executed a perfect tackle at hip
height, head behind me.  He was very talented, as he managed to get from a
crouched stance through me so fast I did not even see him move.!   He hit
me so hard my right leg has about an 8" by 3 or 4" bruise where my leg was
driven into the bike frame.  (Makes me think he really did have football
training).  I got up and all four were just standing around looking at
each other and I was looking at their hands to see what might be coming
next.  Three then proceeded to pick up my bike and their bikes and rode
calmly off towards downtown, although the one without a bicycle walked off
in the opposite direction and into the woods.  Not a word was spoken,
other than me saying in sad disbelief "why did you do that?" right after I
got up off the ground.  (Those who know me are probably amazed that I
otherwise managed to keep my mouth shut.  Fear is a good thing.)  I called
911 from my cell as they were leaving.  (I wish that it had occurred to me
to use the new camera feature while they were still in view, but it
didn't.  Practice!)  I have some other bruises, ! a swollen left knee,
abrasions and sore ribs, but I feel lucky to have gotten out of that
one.

I wonder whether it is feasible to install security cameras at certain
locations along the trail?  (Think I'll be voting for higher taxes?)  I
don't think it would help to put them at the entrance, because in this
situation, I think the perps came onto and exited the trail from side
paths in the woods.  (A real cyclist, unlike myself, happened by a minute
after the attack, and rode all the way back to the entrance downtown, but
did not spot them.)  Also, the foliage has grown up in certain spots too
close to the trail.  Ms. Carmichael, described below, might have been able
to see what happened but for the foliage blocking her view.

Thanks to Officer Welch for arriving so quickly, to the unknown cyclist
who gave chase, and  to Mary Carmichael, who lives along the trail, for
bringing me ice and driving me home.
BTW, if you see my red and silver Giant Rincon with knobby tires and no
kick stand, take it back.  (kidding, I mean call the police)
______________________________________________________________________Lynn
Fontana, Esq.
1316 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705
919-286-2500
fax 919-286-2544
***
The opinions expressed in this email represent only the views of the
individual who posted to the listserv. ABCD is a conversation. The purpose
of this list is to encourage dialogue about Downtown Durham.
Arts & Business Coalition of Downtown
www.ABCDdurham.com
ABCD's Mission: To promote the creation of an economically diverse and
culturally vibrant community in Downtown Durham in which to work and live.