INC NEWS - Sunday's Sustainable Energy Bike Ride (Durham Cycle Center, 6/19 at 3PM)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 07:55:37 EDT 2005

T R A C T I O N presents. . .

The Bike Ride [exercise + outdoors + inspiration + you
= change]

Ride I: Sustainable Energy Tour
Sunday, June 19, 2005

On Father's Day, don't forget to love your Mother!
Mother Earth, that is.

Hop on your bike for a two-wheel tour of places where
Durhamites are creating positive change. Be part of
the Sustainable Energy Bike Ride: a rolling
celebration of Durham's sustainable energy all-stars!

WHAT: FREE, FUN, LOW-KEY BICYCLE RIDE
WHERE: Meet at Durham Cycle Center in the Whole Foods
parking lot (Broad and Perry St.).
WHEN: 3:00pm - 5:30pm, this Sunday 6/19

Brought to you by Traction (www.gettraction.org), the
Sustainable Energy Bike Ride will explore three
environmentally and architecturally innovative homes
in central Durham. At each stop, a speaker will
explain the innovations -- including solar water
heaters, a photovoltaic system (you know, solar cells
and stuff), passive solar, and energy-efficient
appliances -- and how you can incorporate these smart
and environment-friendly techniques to save energy and
money. At the end of the ride, we'll have Q&A plus all
are welcome to stay for food and socializing.

RSVP or for more info: bikeride at gettraction.org

The tour is free and open to the public -- but only
the first 20 or so folks who want to meet good people,
get some exercise, and check out the many innovative
ways that Durhamites are saving energy, saving money,
and loving our Mother.

So run, don't walk -- definitely don't drive! -- and
RSVP now. And hey, if there's enough demand, we'll do
a larger, longer follow-up ride in the fall. We aim to
please.

Fine print: The whole course is six miles or so, with
the longest leg being approx. three miles. Piece of
cake. We'll go at a slow pace over flat terrain in the
Watts-Hillandale and Lakewood neighborhoods, stopping
at three homes that are using passive and/or active
solar technologies. The final stop is our tour guide's
home, where you can ask questions and learn about
legislation that rewards North Carolinians who put
these technologies into practice. Then everyone's
welcome to kick back and socialize before heading home
or back to Durham Cycle Center.

Reserve your spot now: bikeride at gettraction.org

What's Traction? We are a social network of
left-leaning 20- and 30-somethings who are spicing up
progressive activism by throwing fun issue-based
events that inform, inspire and connect us with other
savvy Gen X & Yers.

Check us out at www.getTraction.org and get on the
bus: tractivist at gettraction.org

Lanya Shapiro