INC NEWS - your parks' grass

Richard Mullinax rcmj at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 24 09:32:46 EDT 2005

Randy you mean City Parks are supposed to have grass? Old North Durham
Park is a fairly dry dirt field until it rains and then there is some
sticky stuff. The edges have some grass, but the rest has not recovered
from the wonderful restoration of our fine General Services Department.

They dumped fill from some place like the old Data site downtown, to
hump the field and get it where it did not hold water. Then they came
out and removed the debris that was visible. It is sad that more
continues to surface. I have personally removed window glass, concrete,
bricks, and street fill grade gravel from the site, as well as rubber
trim stuff. If this were private property and a independant contractor
we could get restotution for the gross treatment of the playing surface.
This is a soccer field where kids do fall and roll on the ground!

I only dream that they will reseed in the fall and that is why OND park
did not show up on the new Bonds list. My hope is that this playing
field will get a covering of the great compost that is piled at the City
transfer station before the grass seed is left there.I have been asked
to trust them and that is what I am doing, but it is not fun or easy.

I do wish there was a better system of looking at all the parks and
getting all on the same level of service.

Richard Mullinax
Old North Durham