INC NEWS - fundraising neighborhood/city-wide event

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Jul 13 20:01:27 EDT 2005

Please pass this along to your neighborhood Board and list server. I
posted our Durham Cup Challenge to this list server a month or so ago and
here's the update with ideas for everyone to help and get involved.

Many neighborhoods do not know how to raise money. Not just for projects
they have, but to raise money to help the community we live in. Commonly
we just send out an email and ask for donations and people write checks
for whatever amount they feel good about.

This is really the whole idea behind our croquet tournament. At the time I
posted our challenge, I didn't know where we intended to use the funds
raised. I do now. All profits raised by the Challenge will go to help the
Farmers Market meet its' current fundraising goals.
(http://www.durhamfarmersmarket.com/)

Croquet is a low impact sport that anyone can get involved in. We limit
the age to 14 in the tournament because that keeps the very little ones
from holding up the game. Plus it gives those younger something to look
forward to when they get older. Neighborhood teams are comprised of three
people. Each team member has a fee of $10.00 ($30 per team). Our thoughts
were it would be a great way for other neighborhoods to get out and do
something together. Play some croquet, raise some money for a good cause,
and determine a neighborhood champion. Then send that champion team (as
well as all of their neighborhood cheerleaders) over for a day of croquet
and fun as we all play for the Durham Cup Trophy. What an honor to be the
City Champions (I know we've enjoyed it). Come and strip us of our title
and take it back to your hood!

So you don't have a place to play or practice? We do and don't mind you
coming and using our court. The Forest Hills croquet court is located at
the end of Beverly Drive in Forest Hills Park. It is groomed by FHCC twice
a week; generally on Wed. or Thurs. afternoons and Sunday (unless it's
raining). You can find out more about us and the court location on the
FHNAnews.com website. Just follow the croquet link off the entry page. The
court is in the Park and the Park is used in this area at other times by
the ultimate frisbee players. They play every Thursday and Sunday
afternoons. So those days are out as far as your neighborhood
playing/practice. The FHCC usually plays on Sunday after the frisbee
players finish up. Parking for the court is on Wilshire Drive. Just walk
across the bridge and you'll see the neatly mowed regulation size court.
You'll need to bring your own set of mallets, balls, wickets, and pegs in
order to set up the game in order to play/practice.

I understand Duke Park has new sod in the area where the pool once was. I
also understand this would make another great venue for croquet. Maybe
someone over that way can set up an additional court so croquet players
across town will have another place to practice and play. It a great game
that really has no gender barrier or way to get injuried (that we have
seen; I'm sure a violent outbreak could lead to someone getting hit with a
mallet but we have never seen it happen).

So get the word out in your neighborhood. Get a neighborhood championship
team, and then everyone head over to Forest Hills and just try to take our
trophy away. It's a good way to get your neighborhood out and together and
we'll all raise some money for a good cause. Originally we thought we'd
have the tournament in August. But it's just to darn hot and we don't want
the rest of you to use that as an excuse when we whip you. So right now, I
am saying that the Durham Challenge Cup Finals will be Saturday, Oct. 1st
beginning at noon. So get out and get you a neighborhood champion and
start practicing. You're going to need it! Hope to see you playing.

Randy Pickle
President FHCC
Forest Hills