INC NEWS - Back-to-school note from Duke's Director of Community Affairs --please distribute

Susan Kauffman susan.kauffman at duke.edu
Thu Aug 18 22:47:29 EDT 2005

 Hello!

As fall semester is upon us, Duke students will be returning to campus and
nearby neighborhoods in the next few weeks. Let me share with you what we
are doing to try to help make the return of students to school a
harmonious, safe experience for all.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta and Dean of Students Sue
Wasiolek  will visit student renters in neighborhoods near East Campus to
introduce themselves and engage students in conversation about their
opportunities to be good neighbors and citizens.  In addition, student and
neighborhood representatives of Blue SPARC (Study to Prevent Alcohol
Related Consequences --  a statewide research study) plan to hand out door
hangers with safety tips, information about high-risk drinking and
pertinent city ordinances to student renters in Trinity Park and Trinity
Heights. Students have responded well to this in the past.

Durham Police have told us they intend to fully enforce local laws and
ordinances, especially as they pertain to underage drinking. For the next
several weekends we expect them to stress a no-tolerance approach to set
the scene for the academic year. Durham Police have also been encouraged
to call upon Duke Police to respond to situations involving students
off-campus in neighborhoods near campus.  Captain Eddie Sarvis of District
II has told us he plans to send home letters  to parents of students cited
for criminal charges involving underage alcohol consumption and noise
violations issued to hosts and/or guests.

This is also a good time to mention a new program coordinator position
created in the Dean of Students Office within Student Affairs. There has
been some talk - and misinformation -- about what this position will
entail.  This person, who will be hired this fall, will assist in the
administration of the university's disciplinary process for
undergraduates, especially off-campus students. This individual will also
serve as a resource to off-campus students and Durham residents in
promoting better town-gown relations. Vice President Larry Moneta stated
this past spring that he would start to bring all students cited by Durham
Police into the campus judicial process. He will also release a report
each semester summarizing how those cases were resolved. To protect
student privacy, no names will be used.  As this position is a new one,
some details are still being worked out, but I hope you will agree that
this is a positive step to help strengthen the relationship between our
communities.

Finally, since Duke does not have legal jurisdiction over students who
live off campus, our primary efforts have been focused on making the
on-campus social scene a more inviting one. Numerous activities and events
have been planned especially for the first few weeks of school and we hope
that increasing numbers of students will be attracted to these on campus
social and recreational opportunities.

We hope that these measures, in concert with student/resident
get-togethers being coordinated by community leader and Duke alumnus Josh
Parker, will result in a good start to the new year.

If you have questions or concerns, I invite you to call or email me. If I
can't answer your question, I will put you in touch with the person at
Duke who can.

Sincerely,
Michael Palmer
Director of Community Affairs