INC NEWS - E-mail to Property Managers re: OWD Recommended Prop. Mgrs. Initiative Criteria

kjj1 at duke.edu kjj1 at duke.edu
Fri Aug 19 15:35:37 EDT 2005

Many people have expressed interest in OWD's initiative with property
managers.

I've posted below the text of the e-mail I've sent to property management
companies who have rental properties in Old West Durham, which is an
abbreviated version of the posting I sent to listservs the other day.

Old West Durham Neighborhood Association: Recommended Property Managers
Initiative: Criteria

The Board of Old West Durham Neighborhood Association (www.owdna.org) has
developed criteria for identifying companies whose rental properties,
policies, and practices contribute positively to quality of life in our
neighborhood. Companies that meet these screening criteria will be featured
on soon-to-be-launched page of the OWD Web site to be called "Recommended
Property Management Companies," which we hope will serve as a guide for
people looking to rent in Old West Durham and for owners looking for good
rental property managers. The page will also identify those companies that
did not respond to our inquiries or do not meet the screening criteria.

We invite you to review the screening criteria below and to contact us if
you are interested in discussing the criteria and being featured as a
recommended property manager on the Old West Durham Neighborhood
Association website. You may reply by responding to my e-mail.

The screening criteria OWDNA is using to evaluate property managers include:

1.	Tenant Screening: Clear and consistent tenant screening practices,
including getting an application from all adult tenants and informing
tenants about the city occupancy statutes.

2.	Property Maintenance: Well maintained properties and lawns; responsive
to tenant and neighborhood concerns about property maintenance and
appearance.

3.	"Quality of life" issues explicitly included in lease (eg. yard
maintenance responsibilities, front-yard parking, barking dog, and noise
ordinances).

4.	Tenant Education and Services: Companies furnish tenants with
information about basic city services, utilities, city occupancy ordinances
and other city ordinances relevant to property maintenance and quality of
life.

5.	Willingness to work with Neighborhood Association liaison: Agree to
provide a list of rental properties in the neighborhood to OWDNA liaison
and to reply promptly when contacted by liaison.

6. Consistent enforcement of violations of rental agreements.

We are pleased to announce that Apple Realty is the first company to meet
these screening criteria.

This announcement, along with these criteria, has been posted on several
community listservs (including the Inter-Neighborhood Council, all 5
Partners Against Crime listservs, as well as those of several neighborhood
associations, including Old West Durham, Watts Hospital-Hillandale, Trinity
Park, Trinity Heights, the Duke Housing office, and several elected
officials). We will update these announcements as more property managers
are identified.

We encourage you to seriously consider participating in this effort. We
have received many positive responses from community leaders to this
announcement, and several other neighborhood groups have expressed an
interest in adopting these criteria. We also receive many inquiries through
our web-site from people seeking rentals or property managers in the area.

We look forward to hearing from you.