INC NEWS - Herald Sun editorial

Richard Mullinax rcmj at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 19:41:34 EDT 2005

Old North Durham took it on the chin today in the Herald Sun editorial
as having residents who 'complained' about cans left at curb for days.
If this issue has a negative impact on your neighborhood., please
contact the paper to let them know. Old North Durham cannot be alone in
this, because this issue far from started in Old North Durham.

I have been trying at PAC II meetings for several months, and at every
small meeting I am in, to end the use of the word complaint. When I see
a cart at curb and call the city to make a report of what I saw, I am
not filing a complaint. What I saw I reported on and that makes me a
reporter, and a much closer partner to the solution than a complainer
could ever be. Please work to end the use of 'complaint' in your
neighborhood.

I also sent word to Ginny about carts that never leave the curb. The
Editorial suggested that they are left for days. In reality many of the
carts I counted have been curbside for years. My count was done on
Wednesday and the City did one on Monday. Our collection day is Friday.
Both counts were over 200 for about 1200 units. It was enough for me to
be a proactive partner with Solid Waste.

The City is working on the data and is trying to come up with a list of
why people do this. The goal it to set up the best method of prevention.
I am so thankful for the Solid Waste Department partnership on this
issue. In particular the agreement we share that education seems to be
the tool with the most effect.

A large portion of the Editorial was dedicated to people being
overtaxed. Fees are just another way of saying taxes, while fines imply
that the person earned the right to pay them separate of any tax burden.
Working to clarify these would have been a great help. The City staff
hope is that a system with clear fines available will result in not one
single charge. The fines being a last resort after repeated contacts
have proved futile. Thanks also to Ginny for clearly stating once on
Monday that fines may need to be considered for 'chronic offenders'.

After several years of working with different partners on this issue, I
was discouraged by the Editorial tone. I look forward to future reports,
from Ginny, about changes in the current methods we as neighborhoods and
City deal with carts being left as hazard and eyesore at curbside.

I am also thankful to Bob Ashley for being available to talk about this
with me. He and I both look forward to people giving feedback on this
issue. Please let the paper know how you feel. For me there are several
other issues more important, but this one should not be overlooked or
trivialized.

Richard Mullinax
921 N Mangum St
680-3883