INC NEWS - Local Katrina relief efforts

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 15:51:25 EDT 2005

Hi all,

i'm copying an email below that circulated on the ABCD list yesterday.
Peacefire Galleries, a downtown Durham business, is accepting donations
and contributions to go directly to victims of the Hurricane Katrina
disaster.

i have been thinking about the best way that i can help as an individual
to support this effort.

What i've decided is to set up in Duke Park tomorrow from 2 - 6 pm, or
as long as the food holds out, cooking hot dogs, hamburgers, and tofu
dogs in exchange for your contribution to the Peacefire Relief Effort
(PRE-PATT). I'll also be accepting donations of diapers (one of the
highest priority items) which Peacefire has arranged to ship directly to
families.

So, stop by Duke Park tomorrow if you can, have a bite to eat, and help
contribute to local hurricane relief efforts. I will send out another
email in the morning with final details.

Duke Park, for those of you who don't live in our lovely neighborhood,
is located one block west of Roxboro St., just south of I-85.

Barry Ragin

=====================================

Thank you to all of the people who have taken a stand with us during
this tragic time.  Our list of families in need has grown enormously in
the past 48 hours. In conjunction with our team on the volunteer front
at the Astrodome in Houston, we are placing goods in the hands of people
who have not yet received enough aid.  It is wonderful that we each help
in our different ways. The Peacefire Relief Effort has joined forces
with the nationally heralded PATT organization as a 501(c)3 now known as
PRE (Peacefire Relief Effort). We are focused on direct relief to
families victimized by natural disasters. This is an ongoing effort.  On
Tuesday, we are shipping over forty boxes to families in Texas,
Louisiana, Alabama and Mississppi.  In addition, we thank those of you
who have called & made living space available for families coming to the
Triangle area. Next week, a family of five will be here, and PRE will
provide clothing, food and employment search assistance thanks to your
support.

We are not asking for you to clean out your closets and donate baby
bottles instead of giving to the Red Cross or other organizations, we
are asking that we each do all that we can.  Dropping off a few tee
shirts is effortless, for these are our people suffering and tomorrow it
could be us.

Thank you for donating to other organizations like the Red Cross, every
gesture will hopefully reach the hands of someone in need.  We feel that
Direct Relief Efforts are necessary as well, and this will remain our focus.

Thank you to our 20 volunteers and to all who took the time to send us
positive assistance and support. The question is not what the Red Cross
can do, the question is what are we doing right now?

In addition, if you know of anyone who has friends or family in need of
food, clothing or shelter as a result of Hurricane Katrina, please send
their information to us (including sizes), even if they are in a
shelter, and we will send them a relief package promptly after the
holiday. We are open on Labor Day for this effort.

The PRE website will be up on Tuesday & we will forward information.

We look forward to seeing you at Peacefire soon!!!!

Peaceful Blessings to you all,

Inga Willis & Sima Flower