INC NEWS - Resolution endorsed by citywide PAC (from PAC2 listserv)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 10:47:07 EDT 2005

The items below were just posted on PAC2 listserv
(pac2 at yahoogroups.com). Kudos and roses to Kelly
Jarrett for her very hard work on this important
initiative.

~John Schelp, OWDNA

****

Tonight the leaders of all the PAC groups in the City
met. We meet once a month and tonight I gave our
resolution from Old West Durham/PAC2 to the group. It
was endorsed by the Citywide PAC and Constance
Stancil, head of inspections, will be getting back to
us after she takes it to the committee working on
landlord training. I would like to thank everyone who
has worked on this in Old West Durham, especially
Kelly Jarrett, and for bringing this proposal to PAC2.

The landlord training committee is open to the public
and I would like to entertain someone to attend and
return minutes back to PAC 2. Please let me know if
you would like to be on this committee and keep PAC2
informed about how we can help. We could also convene
a committee in PAC2 to work on this issue for the
coming year. One of its members serving on the
landlord training committee. I will entertain this
idea at our next PAC2 meeting. If you would like to
serve on a PAC2 group to talk about rental property
issues, please let everyone know on the list so you
can begin to connect.

Richard Mullinax
PAC2 co-chair

****

Below is the resolution from Monday night. David and I
will get signed copies to Patrick and City Council.

Richard Mullinax
PAC2 co-chair

The GIS maps available to the public via the City of
Durham website make it easy for citizens to identify
property owners. However, nearly half the properties
in Partners Against Crime District Two (and in Durham
overall) are rental properties, and many of these
properties are managed by property management
companies. When there are problems with these
properties or the tenants in them, such as possible
code violations, lack of lawn or structure
maintenance, noise violations, or criminal activity,
there is no easy way for citizens  to identify and
inform the property managers of these problems. These
kinds of problems have a negative impact on
neighborhoods, discouraging residents from investing
financially and emotionally in their neighborhoods and
encouraging negligence and criminal activity.

Partners Against Crime District Two (PAC2) believes
that the city of Durham should do everything in its
power to encourage citizens to actively address the
problems that contribute to neighborhood blight and
criminal activity. Therefore, PAC2 asks the City of
Durham to require that all property managers who
manage three (3) or more rental properties in the City
of Durham provide a complete listing of their rental
properties to be posted on a city-sponsored website
that will be open to the public and searchable by
street address, and to require that these listings be
updated every six months.

Thanks You for your attention to this matter,

David Harris
PAC2 co-chair

Richard Mullinax
PAC2 co-chair