INC NEWS - Neighborhood improving -- ('Broken Windows' theory: Herald-Sun letter)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 18 18:59:23 EDT 2005

This letter below supports:

- (1) the 'broken windows' theory of crime prevention. Appearance matters.
It is directly related to crime, quality of life, and community morale.
Let's clean up our city, one house and one neighborhood at a time.

- (2) the importance of individual involvement. There are some things only
the City or County can do. But there is a lot more that each of us as
individual citizens can accomplish -- things that WILL make a difference.

The new homes and investment are clearly important to this neighborhood (and
may have been the catalyst here).

But what stands out most to me is the new positive attitude and morale of
Mr. Anthony and his neighbors. Neighborhoods are made up of people, not
buildings. This sense of pride and involvement is the most important part of
community.

Caleb Southern

***

Neighborhood improving
Herald-Sun letter

Early this summer I received a letter from the Durham Housing Authority
requesting that I clean up my yard. I called the inspector at DHA and asked
what he wanted. I explained my situation and told him about how long it
would take me. He said it would be fine. I am still working on it, but boy,
is my neighborhood improving in the meantime. The city and Habitat for
Humanity just put up six beautiful houses across the street from me. I can
see the change in the attitude of the people in the neighborhood -- self
esteem is going up, people are concerned about the neighborhood, longtime
drug and alcohol addicts are quitting and finding jobs, drug sales are much,
much less . and more.

I really don't like to get letters like that or to be told I have to do some
things, but in this case, I really appreciate it.

Editor's note: The writer lives on Carroll Alley.

DAVID ANTHONY
Durham
September 18, 2005