INC NEWS - Beating Illegal Drugs (N&O letter)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 29 05:22:23 EDT 2005

Beating illegal drugs
Letter: News & Observer (Oct 29, 2005)

Durham has had a great run with our "City of Medicine" motto. But it may be
time for a new slogan. My suggestion: "City of Drugs."

This would present a much more accurate picture of the Bull City,
considering:

. Our history as the world's leader in tobacco manufacturing.

. Our prominence in the global pharmaceutical industry.

. Duke Medical Center and RTP

. Our dominance as a center of crack and other illegal drugs.

Durham is a major stop on the Interstate 85 drug trafficking corridor.
Apparently we also have a very successful local retail presence in this
industry. Many thousands of dollars worth of drugs are sold every day in
Durham, according to Capt. Paul Martin of the Durham County Sheriff's
Department. Kudos to the police for their announcement of a year-long
operation that netted $211,000 of crack (news story, Oct. 25), but
unfortunately this is just a drop in the bucket.

Our drug problem fuels every aspect of crime, from gangs and murder all the
way down to car, home and business break-ins and crackhead panhandlers --
issues that plague and demoralize the overwhelming majority of people I know
in Durham every day.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani was able to reverse 40 years of blight
there in just a few short years. I challenge Mayor Bill Bell to prove he
still has the goods to lead us here in Durham. If re-elected, what exactly
is Bell's plan to turn our great city around?

Caleb Southern

Durham