INC NEWS - Fw: RSVP Tax Volunteers

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:26:11 EST 2005

Free tax preparation program information and request for volunteers.

This is a wonderful program that RSVP (Retired Seniors Volunteer Program) organizes every year.

Consider joining in this year and helping   or    make sure to use this free service next year at tax time.

But please feel free to forward to your neighborhood or community listserve.

Contact information is below.

mike shiflett

TCE/VITA Volunteers

What is it?            Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs offer free tax help to people who cannot afford professional assistance. Volunteers help prepare basic returns for taxpayers with low-to-middle incomes.

Is training provided?           One week of Tax Law training is provided by a registered IRS agent at DTCC December 12 - 16. This training can also be completed individually on-line. Each volunteer must pass a certification test at the end of training.

Each volunteer must also attend of Tax

Wise training, which teaches preparers

how to file electronically. Also in December.

Where are the tax sites?           Tax sites are open February 1 - April 15.

Currently we have four locations: Durham Main Library, North Durham Library, Lyon  Park Recreation Center and W.D. Hill Recreation Center. Hours of operation vary at each site - several weekday mornings, Saturdays and some evenings.  Volunteers choose a regular time slot that works for them.

Who do I contact?          Call Sheila Miglarese at 686-3497 or Helen Featherson at 686-3314 for more information. This program is sponsored by RSVP -  the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program at Durham Technical Community College.