INC NEWS - Duke Card has merchants singing blues (Sunday Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 09:31:59 EST 2005

Thanks for your note, Melissa. It's good to hear from
you (and others). And, thank you for posting the
DukeCard article on the Fairfield Neighborhood
listserv.

Last month, Duke CEO Tallman Trask told me he'd work
out some changes to the DukeCard and get back to me
"in a month" (that's Nov 18).

Right now, I haven't heard anything from Duke to
indicate that they won't be making some changes.
President Brodhead sent an me an encouraging email.

The million dollar question, of course, is how much
they'll reduce the set-up costs and commissions.

The first thing most people say is they can't believe
Duke is taking 18% from every sale (that's eighteen
percent).

After posting the Chronicle article and editorial (re:
our concerns about the DukeCard) on a national
town-gown listserv, we learned that Indiana University
charges 3-5%.

The other thing is this strange requirement that
students can't use the DukeCard off campus. According
to a Duke official in the Chronicle, this is to avoid
paying taxes.

Needless-to-say, the DukeCard needs to be reformed,
not "tweaked."

Anyway, let's wait to see what Duke proposes on
November 18. Then we can talk about next steps. :)

thanks for caring,
John

=== message truncated ===