INC NEWS - Planner says no to strip club (Herald-Sun)

Melvin Whitley tellmelvin at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 10:25:52 EST 2005

Thank you John.

Durham currently bars developers from opening a new adult establishment
within 1,000 feet of residential zones, churches, day cares, schools, parks
and libraries, or within 2,000 feet of another adult establishment.
Developer can only open adult establishment on I-3 Zone properties. Durham
has Eighty Six (86) I-3 Zone site in Durham where adult establishment can be
located. We don't know how many of these (86) I-3 Zone sites would meet
Durham requirement. What we do know is that neighborhoods should have the
right to voice their concern before and adult establishment is open near
them. Durham don't have a policy that would give neighborhoods a voice when
the next developer want to put an adult establishment near us and meet the
requirement.

We are asking all neighborhoods and organizations to ask the City and County
to create a process in which all adult establishment would have to come
before a Governing Body.

We must do what we can to stop Human Trafficking. We can make this happen,
please help us.

Your Servant
Rev. Melvin Whitley
2614 Harvard Ave