INC NEWS - DukeCard thoughts

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 12:56:35 EST 2006

Thanks, Randy.

We have spoken with the folks at NC State and UNC,
where their university cards can be used as debit
cards at off-campus businesses. We then asked Duke to
look at both these models at Chapel Hill and NCSU.

The UNC and NCSU cards can be tied to an area bank to
make things easy. There's no need for anyone to spend
$3500 on set-up costs for equipment (which hinders
participation from small, locally owned businesses).
You can just use it like a regular debit card (or
check card) and swipe it at the cashier.

This change would support more businesses near Duke's
campus and give students more options. It would also
mean that Durham would collect more sales tax (because
of the rise in off-campus purchases).

So, yes, shop windows in business districts near
Duke's campus would have decals saying, "We honor
DukeCard." It'd be a win-win-win solution. :)

thanks so much,
John

PS
While Duke charges 18% for each purchase, NCSU has no
charges.