INC NEWS - DukeCard thoughts

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Jan 25 12:20:20 EST 2006

I recently spent an afternoon in Chapel Hill and ran across something that
could even be a business for someone if they had the time and inclination
to do it.

I noticed at restaurants across downtown, they displayed a sign in their
front window saying that they were part of the Off Campus Dinning Network.
The same thought could be used here in Durham (and as far as you want to
take it).

One organization, a central office if you will, that processes all off
campus food sales from the local food shops, restaurants, and elsewhere
this service needs to be provided. Having a central organization do it
would cut down on costs of individual stores having to do it. And then it
would be through a subscriber service that the "outside world" signs on. I
didn't ask for the particulars of this program I mention. I don't have a
dog in this race, so it's neither here nor there to me. But I do see how
it would help the "outside world" to be able to easily fit into a DukeCard
program. It seems that initial cost is one of the problems I see mentioned
(as well as the kickback). This "new organization" could help defray those
costs by having a large pool of businesses that pay a little toward that
single goal.

Looks like it's already working in Chapel Hill. Why doesn't someone just
ask "them" how it works.

RWP