INC NEWS - TTA study in direct mail to change attitudes

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Mar 20 00:01:53 EST 2006

TTA sent me this notice to an upcoming info session and ask me to pass it
along. Hard to believe getting a piece of mail will change ones habits.

RWP
27 Beverly

CAN WE REDUCE TRAFFIC THROUGH DIRECT MAIL?

Find out how a specific technique known as "individualized
marketing" has been used around the world and in the United States
to shift driver trips to biking, walking, and public transportation.  A
successful pilot project was conducted in west-central Durham last year
as part of a federal demonstration to evaluate whether "individualized
marketing" would work in this country.

Who:        Werner Brög, founder of Socialdata, an international
transportation research and marketing firm

What:  90-minute presentation on "individualized marketing" and the
successful results of the pilot project in Durham and three other
locations around the nation.

When:         Monday, March 27th at 7:00pm

Where:  Durham City Hall, Council Chambers

Why:  Take home ideas about this strategy for improving the
productivity of our investments in public transportation services, and
bicycling and walking facilities.

Evening snacks and drinks will be provided.

Other presentation times and locations will include:

Tuesday, March 28th at 2:30pm in Chapel Hill (UNC's Morehead
Planetarium)

The Triangle Transit Authority was selected as one of four
demonstration sites in the nation by the Federal Transit Administration
in a competitive process with over 100 applicants.  The Triangle-based
pilot was conducted in several neighborhoods in west-central Durham over
the period from October 2004 through May 2005.  The three other pilot
sites were Bellingham (Washington), Sacramento (California), and
Cleveland (Ohio).  Socialdata conducts individualized marketing
campaigns in Portland, Seattle, and dozens of locations in Europe and
Australia.

Please RSVP to Kathleen Herr at Triangle Transit Authority,
kherr at ridetta.org or 485-7463.