INC NEWS - Beware of Used Homes

Nick Tennyson nick at hbadoc.com
Wed Mar 22 10:38:27 EST 2006

Thanks, Ken, for sending this to me.  I was not aware of this website and
had not heard the advertising campaign.

Generally speaking, ads that rely on making derogatory claims about a
competitor (or competitive choice, in this case) lose me very quickly.  I
hope people running the campaign will realize that they have plenty to talk
about in a positive way, without resorting to scare tactics.

I am proud of the progress that home construction has made and believe we
have a bright future ahead, as we incorporate updated building technology to
deliver more energy efficient, durable houses.  While assembly requires
dedicated oversight (construction management) the components that are
available today have many advantages over what we formerly had.

None of that makes a older home a bad or a wrong choice.  For those who can
choose to own a home (and more than two thirds of Americans do), choosing
and having something to choose from is one of the keys to making the system
work.  For some people, an established neighborhood and an older home
perfectly meet their needs.  For others, a new home will offer advantages
that simply can't be satisfied by existing inventory - you just can't pick
up that lovely little bungalow from one part of town and put it nearer your
workplace, sadly enough.

So, thanks for pointing this out.  I intend to express my opinion to
sponsors of the site that I recognize - as you no doubt noticed there are
sponsors of this site from Utah, Oregon, and who knows where - and hope you
understand clearly that the opinion expressed about older homes is NOT
reflective of the attitude of our Home Builders Association.

Nicholas J. Tennyson, Executive Vice President

HBA of Durham, Orange & Chatham Counties

20 W. Colony Place, Suite 180

Durham, NC 27705

P:  (919) 493-8899

F: (919) 490-7963