INC NEWS - Moneta co-chairing presidential committee???

kjj1 at duke.edu kjj1 at duke.edu
Sat Apr 8 09:58:07 EDT 2006

Am I the only one who is dismayed to learn that President Brodhead has
appointed Larry Moneta to co-chair the Campus Culture Initiative committee?
The same Larry Moneta who sent out an e-mail to EVERY single student,
warning them of retaliatory, drive-by shootings at the lacrosse house? An
e-mail based on unsubstantiated, third-hand rumors? An e-mail that
represented Durham to students as a dangerous city of predatory
gang-bangers and was picked up in the New York Times and other national
news outlets?

This is the person President Brodhead has appointed to chair the committee
charged "to evaluate and suggest improvements in the ways Duke educates
students in the values of personal responsibility, consideration for
others, and mutual respect in the face of difference and disagreement."

Are we to take it that the administration approves Moneta's e-mail and
considers it an appropriate example of "personal responsibility . . . and
mutual respect in the face of difference and disagreement"? Or does
responsibility to and respect for  Durham not factor in to Duke's
examination of campus culture?

Surely Moneta could have warned students to be careful and mindful in these
tense and difficult times without engaging in blatant, irresponsible fear-
and rumor-mongering.