INC NEWS - City Council discusses underage drinking & Duke's off-campus party scene (Chronicle)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 12:05:01 EDT 2006

from today's Duke Chronicle...

The East Campus wall was built to protect Duke
students from intruders. Monday night, however, City
Council members questioned the University's ability to
protect the Durham community from students.

Council members discussed underage drinking and the
University's off-campus party scene in light of recent
allegations surrounding the men's lacrosse team at a
public hearing.

City Manager Patrick Baker also addressed concerns
that the DPD's actions in recent days have been
inappropriate. Community members have speculated that
police officers overstepped their bounds when they
entered rooms in Edens Dormitory last week. Baker said
the DPD acted within its jurisdiction.

"It is not to our benefit to infringe upon the rights
of the individuals," he said, adding that the DPD
maintains jurisdiction "on and through" the
University. "We were going to get access from Duke
Public Safety, the student just allowed them in
[first]."

Duke's history of off-campus partying was the next
topic of discussion. Baker said city officials have
taken a four-fold approach to curb the the
University's party scene.

"The primary tools the city has are the noise
ordinance, the anti-public urination ordinance, the
alcohol law enforcement and [coordination with] DPS,"
he said.

Baker produced a report citing charges and complaints
made against Duke students regarding off-campus
parties.

The reports presented included a number of Herald-Sun
articles and columns. One of the reports included the
criminal records of 15 of the 47 lacrosse team
members.

Baker noted that many of these charges had been
deferred, however, placing the students on temporary
probation periods. If honored, the probation would
allow all charges against the students to be
dismissed.

"There's nothing the city can do other than charging
the individuals and leaving it to the court system to
decide [the rest]," he said.

The ball, Baker said, is in Duke's court now.

"I believe there is a partnership, and I think we [the
City] are doing all that we can," he said. "I think
Duke has the most influence."

In an attempt to understand the problems created by
off-campus parties, Council members next turned the
discussion to the issue of underage drinking at Duke.

"Underage drinking has become almost like an
epidemic," said Council member Howard Clement. "I'm
convinced that underage drinking led to the events of
March 13."

Council member Eugene Brown expressed frustration at
the lack of action against students violating laws off
Duke's campus.

Brown criticized University administrators who he said
vetoed efforts by Trinity Park residents to alleviate
the problems posed by the off-campus parties.

"The problem continues," he said. "The response from
Duke is not adequate, and regardless of the outcome of
the case that is currently pending, the problem still
exists."

Brown and other Council members did commend a decision
by President Richard Brodhead in late February to
purchase several off-campus houses in order to curb
the party scene.

"The purchase is the most important step Duke has
taken, but more has to be done," Brown said.

Clement echoed concerns of Durham residents who say
Duke's status in the community has granted its
students privileged treatment from law enforcement
officials.

"How come Duke can do what it does in the community
and apparently get away with it?" he asked when Baker
said he could not find any reports regarding similar
behavior by students of North Carolina Central
University, which is also located in Durham.

"That sends a message," Clement said.

Council members agreed that the only way to remedy the
issues in question would be to represent the voice of
Durham residents in meetings with Duke administrators.

"The President has set up a vehicle for addressing
these issues; why not take advantage of it?" said
Mayor Bill Bell.

source: www.dukechronicle.com