INC NEWS - Is the new solid waste plan based on solid ground?

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 15:24:42 EDT 2006

All,

If my memory serves correctly,  working out the contract to ship trash out of state was one of Lamont's first major decisions after becoming city manager.

At the time,  the decision was held with very high accolades.   But for many, it was a very short sighted answer to a much larger growing problem.

What are we going to do with our trash?

For me,  it was and continues to remain patently dangerous and eventual financially ruinous for us, as a municipality, to haul our waste out of state.

It's both environmentally and morally wrong.

But before we start moving forward on any 'new' plan we need to answer the questions posed earlier and find alternatives for bulky items (they weight more) to be picked up and trucked out of town!

WE SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN TRASH!!!!!

As a community we must look at what options there are available first, before we continue to make it worse.   The plan presented by Solid Waste at this point in time only adds more weight and money to its cost(s).

I'd suggest we look at what other cities have done.   What the latest technology regarding steam generation/incineration plants,  massive recycling of building materials, scrap metals and larger household items that could cut back (or hopefully eliminate) the need to sent it to Virginia.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a system in place that could reuse and/or co-generate something positive out of our waste stream rather than pay millions of dollars to haul it up I-85?

No where in the plan that's being currently passed around is a financially stable and physically viable long term solution.

Incorporating ideas other cities have been successful with and implementing ways to drastically reduce the truckload after truckload leaving Durham seems to me to be a better way to go about it.

If this new Director is even worth half the weight (no pun intended) of what we're going to pay him,  he ought to at least have some of these solutions in his tool box.

Why not take advantage of what he can bring to the table.

Maybe we could make some changes that everyone could agree upon and make sense?

Now that would be a 'plan' a lot more people could get behind!

mike shiflett