INC NEWS - Is the new solid waste plan based on solid ground?

nutryb at mindspring.com nutryb at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 18 17:49:31 EDT 2006

I think Mike has a worthwhile point. The arrival of the new director, hopefully coming with new ideas and knowledge, offers an excellent opportunity for at least re-evaluating shipment of trash vs. local solutions.  gas prices are only going up, which will make the currently-used shipping option less and less cost effective with each month.  and even though I'm no waste management expert, I have seen news items that would seem to indicate that there have been a number of technological changes and innovations in the last 10 years in terms of recycling, repurposing, and using waste streams for energy generation.

while i see and understand your concerns in regards to the purely theoretical siting of a new landfill in Durham County (and wouldn't expect an easy consensus on such a venture, by any means!), in the interests of long-term sustainability and general good management, it would serve us to consider other ways of managing our city's wastes besides landfilling, regardless of where.  what about waste reduction programs? and wouldn't it make more overall fiscal sense to keep that money in Durham somehow, rather than giving it to trash shippers? even if it costs a little more to implement an alternative local solution, wouldn't it be worth it for the benefits of keeping money and jobs local, too?

just my 2 cents.
Paula C.
from the Colonial Village neighborhood