INC NEWS - Min House Code Presentation

Ken Gasch ken.gasch at hldproductions.com
Tue Apr 18 21:42:13 EDT 2006

Toya,

This presentation looks great to me.  I especially appreciate the new procedures aimed at addressing blighted commercial properties.

I have one question, though.  What is our plan to address fraudulent reporting of minimum housing code violations?

It has come to my attention that a number of folks in Durham are abusing our current system.

Some folks simply decide that they no longer wish to pay rent.  In order to avoid eviction, these folks will make fraudulent reports of minimum housing code violations.  Prior to the inspection, they may do any number of malicious things to the property to ensure that the landlord fails the inspection.  If a landlord fails an inspection prior to an eviction hearing, the tenant may be allowed to extend his or her free stay.

Fraudulent reports are costly to the honest tenants, landlords and the tax payer.  These reports also waste the valuable time of inspectors who could be addressing real code violations.  In addition, this practice has the effect of lowering the overall quality of housing stock in our lovely city.

The music industry has made a tremendous impact on the volume of songs illegally pirated by simply prosecuting a handful of folks.  These cases were made very public by design.

Sincerely,

Ken Gasch