INC NEWS - Is the new solid waste plan based on solid ground?

Newman Aguiar newman at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 19 11:19:38 EDT 2006

Anne,

I find it very hard to believe that there are no long-term solutions that
will help us deal with our trash in a more responsible and cost-effective
manner.  With all the intelligent and environmentally astute residents who
live in Durham, I feel confident that we could come up with long term
solutions that help us address some of the questions Mike has raised.  I
agree with Mike, that we must take a closer look at how we deal with our
trash over the long term and find more reasonable long-term solutions.

Separate from long-term solutions, however, I acknowledge that we have a
broken yard waste program.  In the short-term, I believe the proposed plan
will leave us in a better place then our current plan.  I recall, along with
other PAC2 members, taking issue with our current plan with the former
director, who was confident that we were all wrong.  This discussion is on
the record of the PAC2 minutes.  Without a more sustainable long-term
component, it seems likely that the costs of the proposed plan will create a
problem for Durham residents.

Newman

  _____