INC NEWS - Department of Solid Waste Management Listserv Comments

Poston, Stacey Stacey.Poston at durhamnc.gov
Wed Apr 19 15:48:50 EDT 2006

                                                                                                                                       DEPARTMENT OF SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT

1833 Camden Avenue  ▪  Durham, NC  27704

101 City Hall Plaza  ▪  Durham, NC  27701

We, the City of Durham’s Department of Solid Waste Management, are encouraged by the continuing dialogue among members of the InterNeighborhood Council and other citizens regarding the functions, successes and challenges of our Department and would like to provide some additional details regarding the latest postings to the listserv.

We are executing our current mission well. The Citizen Satisfaction Survey conducted in December 2005 by ETC Institute, on behalf of the City of Durham, indicated that the satisfaction rate for trash collection services and curbside recycling satisfaction was one of the highest positive responses on the entire survey. According to the survey results, “the highest level of satisfaction with City utility services based upon the combined percentage of ‘very satisfied’ and ‘satisfied’ responses of residents, who had an opinion, were City trash collection services (84%), the City curbside recycling (82%)…Residents were less satisfied with bulky item pick up and removal services (54%).”

The one area where the Department needs improvement is addressed as a part of the proposed Comprehensive Yard Waste program. This survey document as well as previous surveys may be read in their entirety at http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/bms/survey_Index.cfm.

Federal mandates have required all cities to modify their Solid Waste Policies.  Changes in federal statutes have required states and municipalities to reduce the amount of debris being disposed of in landfills.  The resulting regulations necessitated the creation of a Yard Waste collection program in the City of Durham, separate from the rollout garbage collection.  Source separation of disposable debris, yard waste and recyclables, while effective in reducing total volumes, is expensive due to the required investments in staffing and equipment.  Recently, a Federal audit of Durham’s storm water program, called for improving our Yard Waste program to prevent vegetative material from depositing into the storm drainage systems.

The proposed Comprehensive Program is an effective and efficient solution to consistent complaints regarding illegal dumping and yard waste program concerns and will improve the appearance of our community.  For the past several years, numerous citizens have complained about the amount of illegal dumping that occurs in our community and the ineffectiveness of the yard waste program due to lack of participation (approximately 20% currently participate).  The Department of Solid Waste Management has heard these complaints at PAC meetings, INC meetings, telephone calls, e-mails, Durham One Call requests, from current customers and various other forums where employees interact with citizens.

With these two primary citizen concerns in mind, the Department of Solid Waste Management, with extensive citizen input, has crafted a Comprehensive Plan which seeks to remedy both issues.  The solution proposed by SWM would provide a comprehensive collection program to collect both bulky items and yard waste curbside on a weekly basis, fund a Code Enforcement Officer, and provide a pilot program for leaf vacuum collection.

Contact us directly if you have questions.  Our staff is here to answer any questions you may have about our proposed plan and why we think this plan will help to clean up our community.  Feel free to contact us via telephone at (919) 560-4186 x260 or via e-mail at stacey.poston at durhamnc.gov.  We are committed to improving the aesthetic beauty of our city and look forward to implementing a plan that encourages all of our residents to help keep Durham beautiful.