INC NEWS - Future headline: Family of four injured, pedestrian (panhandler) killed in accident

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 24 15:59:37 EDT 2006

Neither of which needs to happen!

The person who's been arrested 53 times points out exactly why many in the community feel that it's the solicitors that have gotten out of hand,  not law abiding citizens who are trying to go about their daily lives without being harassed (in their cars).

For me,  I've got to ask the same question Melvin Whitley asked.   Don't we have bigger and badder (sp?) issues for our police officers to deal with?

What this particular person needs is counseling and treatment, not more reasons to ply his wares in the streets!

One of the most significant parts of this initiative is to offer resources they need to get help, not just arrest them time after time.

But if they make the decision not to take advantage of the social services, non-profits, church groups and jobs programs that are offered to them,  why are we supposed to continue to allow it?

Newman is completely right.   Why is our police force arresting and re arresting these violators over and over again.

The logic eludes me where we're supposed to allow behavior that threatens those who are law abiding by ignoring the consequences that if it's allowed to continue, we get the same behavior AND put ourselves (and our vehicles) at risk for a tragedy?

Moving motor vehicles and human flesh are not equal.  In the end,  it's always a painful (if not fatal) encounter!

Again,  this ordinance covers solicitations in streets and highways (NOT THE RIGHT OF WAY).

It bans the sales of newspapers, candy, Krispy Kremes (damn!) and iced cream IN THE STREET, INTERSECTIONS AND HIGHWAY RAMPS.

It does not affect, panhandling on 9th, downtown or infringe on free speech because it treats everyone the same.   All of these 'uses' can still take place, just not on the roadway.

Girl Scouts can still go door to door selling cookies and the local church youth group can still do car washes.   And if a street vendor wants to work the sidewalk, or the newspaper folks want to stake out Duke, bus stops and retail centers, they can.   They just have to stay away from moving sheet metal.

Isn't our streets and thoroughfares busy enough without allowing business (used loosely, figuratively speaking) to be conducted in them too?

Mike Shiflett