INC NEWS - other workers wages

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri May 19 16:38:54 EDT 2006

Just to see what some other workers make, I did a random survey. I
contacted 2 businesses that use CDL drivers and 2 that were in the
construction business. The going rate for semi-skilled construction labor
(large construction firms here locally) is around $8/hr. The going rate
for CDL drivers (major concrete company and major bus service in the area
as well) is $11.49-13/hr. So I'd have to believe the wages for solid waste
workers is in line with other industries. I told those who I ask the
questions of that I would not mention their company name. So that is why I
have generalized by industry. But you're welcome to call around for
yourself and see. No company paid its employees for time they didn't work
unless it was vacation time.

I also stopped and asked 6 grounds maintenance workers doing work in a
large neighborhood here in Durham. Grounds maintenance is part of living
there. All but 2 of these individuals made less than $10/hr. The crew boss
made more and one of the six made $10.25. He had been there 5 years.

Just FYI for those who wonder.

RWP
27 Beverly