INC NEWS - other workers wages

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri May 19 22:03:47 EDT 2006

Maybe, but with the 12 or so hours they do not work because of the current
system, others have to fill in the gap. Others are costing almost 75% more
of the total regular base (for those extra hours they are paid for but do
not work) because that extra effort that has to be put forth when they are
not working (because they have finished their route). This is more
expensive time because it is temp labor filling in the gap that has
already been paid once. Or it is overtime because the regular employees
have already put in their 40 hours (even though it was only 28-32).
Essentially, we are paying for the same job twice. There is no way around
that with the current system. It takes that extra 12 hours to get the job
done. And they're not doing it because of the system currently in use.
They either need 12 hours docked from their pay to cover the other folks
who end up doing the work or work those hours they are paid for. It's that
simple.

My point is, that very few individuals get paid for work they do not do.
So what if you do it faster or slower; marching or fighting it all pays
the same; typically. I don't care what you call it, I call it a ripoff.
And it's the taxpayers who are paying for this ripoff. Is it right? I
can't see it. I discovered today that the wages being paid (for the 40
hours of work they do not do) is what the going rate is across other
industries. I'm sure part-time workers get less (especially in full time
benefits like insurance). So replace the workers who aren't willing to buy
into the new system and move on. Doing nothing changes nothing.

So what's the answer? I say, get an hours pay for an hour of work. You
want to work 32 hours a week, fine. You become a part-time employee,
taxpayers save the expense of  covering you for benefits (another $6K+
savings), and we move on. This paying for hours not worked has to stop.
Because the time we are paying for (and is not being worked) still has to
be covered. And this covering of this "free time" is very expensive. No
other industry I spoke with ascribes to this task based system. We know
how long routes take to do currently. If the work slows down because of
implementing the new system, then you know where the bottleneck is. Time
for a house cleaning and replace those who have layed down in protest. UPS
times their drivers and deliveries. This should be no different. They want
to slow down to jam up the system, fine. Send them to one of the other
industries where the pay will be the same, but the time worked will be
what they are payed for. It's that simple. And it's something that could
be implemented overnight (as it appears to have been by "Action" Jackson).
I see the problem that happened last week as being worker related. When
only half of your work force comes in (for whatever reason; which I hope
was a good one and it was verified), any business will have a problem. I'm
sure that the workers believe they run solid waste at this point. It looks
like they proved it last week and ran the new Director in the process. You
can have a great management team running a business. When the majority of
you business is rank and file, they can shut you down or crip the system
at will. Until they are onboard, the ship will never get heading the right
direction. They'll screw you everytime you let them until you make a
change to fix that issue.

RWP
27 Beverly