INC NEWS - [owdna] background on the solid waste situation...

American LAbor americanlabor at nc.rr.com
Mon May 22 10:50:28 EDT 2006

All,

The abuse of the task system is at the core of this problem.  While it's foundations are rooted in 'rewarding' those who work it for completing their work quickly and efficiently, right now it's not providing the citizens of Durham either.

>From recent accounts it's been learned that over the period of several years Durham's Solid Waste Department has continued to employ this tactic eventhough the task of collections were NOT finished on a regular weekly basis.

This then required that Durham recall the same workers who did not complete the tasks in the first place (but were paid for it) and given overtime to finish the job.  As is also confirmed by the expenses of the department,  they also had to hire additional 'contractors' a significant number of times each month.   This has become a very expensive way to pay for trash collections.

For some,  the perception is that the task system has grown into a 'perk' that some have come to take advantage of.  Thus siphoning off valuable city budget funds.

The simple question remains  "Why continue a system that pays for something we don't get?"

Many of us are now seeing it's impact.  "Action Jackson" just paid the price for trying to do something about it.

Among others,  I also applaud the city Manager Patrick Baker for recognizing this.

A number of people (citizens, city council members and civic leaders) have asked for a more thorough investigation to determine what's best for us as taxpayers and elected officials,  not just for individuals who work in (or contract for) the Solid Waste Department.

Certainly there are many more hazardous and task arduous job descriptions within the city employment that could argue that they are as deserving a 'benefit' as the task system in their departments.

Placing one above another or allowing one department to reap the rewards of a pay system that has gotten out of hand is not good city policy.

This is the time for it to be looked at with the everyone's goals in mind,  not just one.

There are hard working employees all across Durham (Solid Waste included).  Let's make sure that each of them get a compensation package that the citizens can afford which also can recognize the contribution they make, for the work they DO.

mike shiflett