INC NEWS - other workers wages

Chris Sevick csevick at verizon.net
Mon May 22 13:18:51 EDT 2006

I don't know all the details about this situation, but as a casual observer, I see a lot of analysis and criticism related to the compensation 'system'.  Those criticisms may be valid, but I don't see much analysis of the actual compensation, and whether it's a suitable living wage.

In my opinion, garbage workers provide a valuable service to the community, and should have the same opportunity as anybody else to live the American Dream.  I just don't see how you can pay for a mortgage, healthcare, raise a family, etc, while making around $30,000/year.  Perhaps that is a legitimate living wage, but I can't really talk, because I make more money than that, and I would find my life to be much more difficult with that annual salary.

I would love to hear some testimonials on how you can live the American Dream on $30,000/year.  It would be personally enlightening to me, and would provide a legitimate foundation for criticizing the garbage workers' compensation.  Until the living wage issue is dealt with, the criticism of the compensation 'system' just looks like class warfare to me.

- Chris Sevick