INC NEWS - DRAFT May Minutes

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat May 27 17:37:26 EDT 2006

Michael Shiflett	Northgate Park NA
Cheryl Shiflett	Northgate Park NA
Fran Lerner	Colony Park
Sarah Free	Lassiter Street
Bobbe Deason	Morehead Hills
Risa Foster	Trinity Heights
Janet Hitti	Parkwood
Lugenia Mason	River Forest
Lorisa Seibel	Durham Affordable Housing Coalition
Pat Carstensen	Cross County
Myers Suggs	Tuscaloosa Lakewood
Annette Smith	Durham Parks and Rec
Wendy Bernhardt	Tuscaloosa-Lakewood
Cathy Abernathy	Hope Valley Neighborhood
Sandy Ogburn	Five Oaks Lakeside
Mark Prokop	Meals on Wheels of Durham
Adaire Salt	Grove Park
Craigie Sanders	Grove Park
Melissa Rooney	Fairfield NA

Introductions – President Mike Woodard opened the meeting.  Members
introduced themselves.

Parks and Rec Events – Annette Smith announced a number of special events
and distributed copies of Play More.  For more information on warehouse
blues, Latino Festival, Woofstock, and so on, see

Neighborhood Priorities – We brainstormed and voted on issues   The results:
ß Continuously chained dogs (17 votes)
ß Drug houses I Section 8 property (10)
ß Landlord responsibility for rental property (9)
ß Redevelopment of vacant commercial property near neighborhoods (8)
ß Single family houses used as multifamily houses (7)
ß Gateway beautification (7)
ß Boarded up houses (6)
ß Street maintenance (6)
ß Maintenance of street trees (5)
ß Streetscape / underground utilities (5)
ß Loud music from autos (4)
ß Demolition of substandard (mostly) rental property (4)
ß Afterschool in neighborhoods (4)
ß Leaf pick up (4)
ß Clean energy / solar (3)
ß Education about nuisance property (3)
ß Trash cans at curb (3)
ß Local public transportation (3)
ß Regional public transportation (2)
ß Uniform street names (2)
ß Better access to police data (2)
ß Partner with other community groups (2)
ß Partnership to fight poverty (2)
ß Parking in yards (2)
ß Satellite dishes in front yard (2)
ß ID / attire for meter readers (1)
ß Easy of rezoning (too easy/) (1)
ß Help organize neighborhoods (1)
ß Neighborhoods interaction to city center (1)
ß Subdivision of lots / infill (1)
ß Better transportation to outlying areas (1)

Meal on Wheels of Durham – Mark Prokop said they have sent out over 1
million meals since they started in 1975.  They are moving so their new main
number is 667-9424.  Volunteer drivers can do the same route every day or
share routes; they also need route coordinators for shared routes. The
website is www.mowdurham.org

Service Delivery Standards – This has bubbled out of PAC2, from frustration
at finding out what has happened to their reports and service requests to
One-Call.  Only 3 areas of city government have real standards on how they
are handling requests, and zoning is City-County to zoning is not covered by
One-Call.  You can find out when your item closes out, so the issue is less
tracking individual requests as knowing what the overall picture is.  Given
confusion about what system will do, we will ask the director of One-Call
for a presentation.  In the meantime, neighborhoods are asked to consider
the following resolution in Appendix A.

Other Items
1. Dues for 2005-06 are now due.  As of 5/11/06, we have $900.03 in checking
and $2227.05 in savings.
2. Neighborhood Hero Awards – Washington Duke will again host.
Neighborhoods are asked to select one hero.  This year we will present
awards to contributors to INC as well.  If you want to be on the Awards
Committee, let Mike know.
3. Nominating Committee –  If you want to be on the Executive Committee or
the Nominating Committee for it, please talk to Mike.
4. Panhandling – We left it tabled for this month.
5. Tenant Video – INC with other organizations is working on a video, in
Spanish, on tenant rights and responsibilities.  It should be done next
month or  so.
6. Public Access to Police Database – Money for it is in the departments
request to the budget process.
7. Summary Ejection – PAC2 presented to PAC3.  See Ken Gasch for details.
8. Boards and Commissions – Openings for county have just been announced.
9. Community Life Court – Meant to be for broad set of quality of life
issues, but Housing the only agency that seems to be using it.
10. Dogs – Dogs barking continuously generally have a reason, like being
tied up.
11. Affordable Housing – Volunteer Repair Day is June 17.  They also have a
proposal for Neighborhood Mini-Grants that could be used for supplies for
beautification and minor home repairs.
12. Jay Reinstein left word that the trash enforcement ordinance us on June
5 consent agenda.  An enforcement officer is in the solid waste budget
proposal.
13. City and County budgets happen in June.
14. Trash Survey – Keep Durham Beautiful has a scientific way to count
litter.  Neighborhoods may want to participate in the "litter count" on June
21.
15. There is training for HOA boards from CAI.
16. National Night Out is August 1.

The meeting was adjourned.

Attachment A: Standards of Service

Whereas: Citizens need a way to track their service requests made to
Housing, Zoning, Solid Waste and other city/county departments,

Whereas: When service requests become lost in the system, there may not be
follow through,

Whereas: Citizens get discouraged when the work isn't completed,

We resolve that: Durham One Call organizes "Service Delivery Standards," for
consistencies in city/county departmental service performances and to allow
citizens to track such performance of service requests through the system.
Furthermore, we propose that the County be strongly encouraged to join the
Durham One Call program in order to make county functions easily accessible
to the entire Durham community.