INC NEWS - Where are tax dollars are going

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 12:35:20 EDT 2006

While I agree that we MUST (not should!) hold our elected officials
accountable, sometimes the situation isn't as clear as this one.

If the City were to hand another loan program to Anita Bennett, then I'd be
the first to grab a pitch fork. And this Durham Regional Financial situation
seems pretty easy to have seen coming, but that's not always the case.

Being diligent with our tax dollars isn't an easy job, but they knew that
when they ran for office. A simple Google search would have prevented egg on
their faces in this case.

But in a few cases, waste might occur through zero fault of our  government.
Cases like this might be few and far between, but I know of a 60 year old
nonprofit that went from awesome to awful, in the course of one year.

That nonprofit receives very little from the City in the way of funding,  but
should we fault our elected officials for funding something with a long
track record of success? They can't always know the current shape of every
organization with whom they deal, as much as we wish they could.

So to be fair, Self Help clearly would have been a better choice of  partners
here, but if they had quietly fallen apart just before the announcement  went
out..... well, you can't blame the City for having faith in their good  track
record.

I appreciate these exceptions are few and far between, but to be fair, we
must recognize they do exist.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 9/28/2006 9:52:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,