INC NEWS - Request for your assistance

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 08:31:00 EST 2007

Good afternoon, David -
I wanted to mention two news items and ask if you will pass them along to the INC listserv?  I think they may be of interest to the neighborhood representatives, who reach out to new residents and who promote Durham's image in various ways already.

The first item is an online "Self-Guided Orientation to Durham."  The 16-organization Durham Public Information & Communications Council has worked with DCVB to transform a former PDF guide for newcomers into a new, interactive tool, narrated by WUNC-FM radio personalities and animated with Flash.  It covers Working, Living, and Playing in Durham and can be viewed all at once or browsed one part at a time:  it's searchable and filled with links to more info.

The address is www.durhamoverview.com.  The Durham Public Information & Communications Council members are adding links from their websites, and everyone who interacts with Durham newcomers is encouraged to link up.  (It may be a good informational link for the neighborhood websites as they are browsed by prospective residents.)

On a different subject, DCVB is enlisting volunteers to work collectively with the Bureau to quickly identify, network, address, and reverse misinformation and misperceptions about Durham, which are found in many places (airline greetings, media datelines, mail delivery designations, references in advertisements, news stories, etc.).  Our president Reyn Bowman blogged about this project earlier today; here is a link to that blog post for more details on enlisting in the "Durham Image Watch":
<http://www.durham-nc.com/reynblog/2007/01/durham-image-watch.html>

Jonathan E. Freeze
Director of Marketing Research and Brand Management
Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau
101 E. Morgan St., Durham, N.C. 27701
Email: jonathan at durham-cvb.com
Direct Phone: 919-680-8319