INC NEWS - Transportation model for Durham in 2035

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:07:44 EST 2007

As part of the next round of long-range transportation planning, the
Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
has drafted population and employment forecasts through the year 2035.  This
socioeconomic data is important in the development of our transportation
modeling and project selection processes.  The MPO has several events and
media to to get citizen input.   The public comment period for citizens will
be open from Wednesday, January 31, 2007 through Tuesday, March 27, 2007.

Various views of the data they have collected are at:
http://www.dchcmpo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=35

The MPO will conduct several public workshops in which citizens can come to
review the maps / data and work with staff on a one-on-one basis.  The
workshops are planned as follows:

*  Northern High School, February 13, 6:30PM to 8:30PM;
*  Chapel Hill Public Library, February 20, 5PM to 8PM;
*  Town of Hillsborough, February 22, 4PM to 7PM;
*  Jordon High School, February 27, 6:30PM to 8:30PM;
*  Durham County Central Library, March 1, 4PM to 7PM.

Public Hearing
Citizens can provide feedback to local elected officials (Transportation
Advisory Committee) at a public hearing on Wednesday, March 14, 2007, at
9:00AM in the Committee Room (2nd Floor of Durham City Hall, 101 City Hall
Plaza).  Persons with disabilities will be accommodated -- provisions must
be requested at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.

What this means for neighborhoods:
* They probably won't change the projection that there will be 61% more
people in Durham County by 2035, but we all need to be thinking about where
those folks will live and work
* It is worth looking at what they are projecting for areas around your
neighborhood -- the process has gotten better but sometimes there is flakey
data
* They aren't supposed to be looking at transportation alternatives at this
stage of the planning process, but it is a great reason to be sending
letters "this is why we need East End Connector"

Regards, pat