INC NEWS - [dukepark] East End Connector

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 12:06:24 EST 2007

i suppose it would help if i actually included the text of the article.

 Support growing for East End Connector
 City officials plan to push for the project, a bypass around Durham

 By C.D. KIRKPATRICK : The Herald-Sun
  Jun 27, 2002

DURHAM -- Supporters of the East End Connector, a road that has been on
the books since before the Durham Freeway was conceived and is now
touted as a replacement for the controversial Eno Drive, have
"inundated" Durham elected officials with e-mails urging construction of
the road, said City Councilman Howard Clement.

Durham elected officials serving on the regional Transportation Advisory
Committee asked staff Wednesday to see how it could move on the nearly
$90 million project. Elected officials said they plan to push for the
project, which at its current planning pace might be a decade or more
into the future, if ever funded.

The city’s chief transportation planner, Mark Ahrendsen, said the
project was a quality one and that funding has been the only issue for
years.

The road would connect Interstate 85 and U.S. 70 with the Durham
Freeway, allowing northern Durham traffic to more directly connect with
Research Triangle Park or other points accessible by the freeway.

Elected officials asked if the project could replace the western section
of Eno Drive. Ahrendsen said he felt the two complemented each other but
were not interchangeable.

"I’d be hard-pressed to say one over the other," he said. "I don’t think
one replaces the other; they serve different purposes."

Ahrendsen said to move more quickly on the East End Connector, Durham
officials have three options: Delay other local projects in the state’s
Transportation Improvement Program or TIP, try to find the money in some
other way or persuade state lawmakers to unlock money in the Highway
Trust Fund. The fund has millions set aside for loop projects around the
state, including Eno Drive, and for other projects such as paving dirt
roads.

"It’s a funding issue; it just boils down to the money," he said.

Jon Nance, the DOT Division 5 chief engineer, said that the road could
be considered a bypass or turnpike of sorts around Durham, which would
accomplish some of the same purposes set out for the much-maligned
western portion of the proposed Eno Drive, which would run from I-85 at
Glenn School Road to Guess Road.

Eno Drive would track the Eno River to its north and I-85 to its south.
Many oppose it because it could cut through neighborhoods and could be
environmentally dangerous to the Eno River State Park.

"[The East End Connector] is just an extremely expensive project,"
Ahrendsen said. "[It requires] a new interchange with U.S. 70 … crossing
train tracks. It’s still a very important project. It’s just a project
competing for very limited dollars."

Clement, who attended the TAC meeting but does not serve on the
committee, said the project needs to move forward.

"I don’t want to see this just sit there. We have to grease it," he
said. "I have a stack of e-mails."

County Commissioner Ellen Reckhow said that the state’s construction
funding formula for the various transportation divisions around the
state was unfair to Durham because the national travel on Interstates 40
and 85 was counted against it and so the widening projects on those two
roads have sapped all the funds for Durham’s Division 5.

The whole state benefits from those interstates and Durham’s other
projects should not have to be shelved for funding reasons, she said.

"The TAC has known for a while that the widening projects are sapping up
the funds," she said. "It’s because so much money is going for those
projects."