INC NEWS - Please Thank Commissioners Reckhow and Heron

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 22:39:55 EST 2007

Hi again. Just wanted to tell you all that approval of
the Scott Mill rezoning application failed.

This is what happened, in a nutshell:
After what seemed like more than 20 people spoke --
most of them South Durham neighbors in opposition to
Bill Ripley and his rezoning proposal (but also reps
from the People's Alliance and Sierra Club), a long
discussion ensued among the 4 commissioners present
(Commissioner Cheek was notably absent). It was pretty
clear that the vote was going to be a tie. Chairwoman
Reckhow called for a 10 minute recess, afterwhich she
motioned to approve the rezoning application.
Commissioner Heron seconded. Then Reckhow and Heron
voted against approval, while Page and Cousin voted
for approval. This meant that the rezoning application
was NOT approved. (It is my understanding that, had
they voted for denial and there had been a tie, the
case would have to be revisited.)

I would like to heartily thank Chairwoman Reckhow and
Commissioner Heron for going to bat for the Durham
public on this one...they showed political courage and
strength and renewed my (albeit still shaky) faith in
the system.

I would greatly appreciate it if you'd send them a
quick email to thank them for their efforts on behalf
of their Durham County constituents.

Their email addresses are:
EReckhow at aol.com or ereckhow at durhamcountync.gov
bmheron at durhamcountync.gov

And thank you all for supporting South Durham on this.
The INC was an invaluable resource for bringing this
issue to the forefront. I am so grateful that you all
are my neighbors :)

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa Rooney