INC NEWS - Please Thank Commissioners Reckhow and Heron

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:25:16 EST 2007

One thing this hearing drove home to me is the importance of getting
agreements with developers in appropriate "planner speak."  The good
developers get caught between trying to satisfy technical planning
department requirements and meeting what they agreed to.  The more shifty
ones get ways to hide the fact they aren't carrying through their
agreements.

THe specific case with Scott Mill was that the agreement with the developer
specified 15 feet between houses whereas the Planning Department talks in
terms of distance from the house to the lot line.  This is NOT stupid
bureaucratic quibble: the distance between houses is obvious once all the
houses are developed but if the first house goes on the lot-line, getting
the second house 15 feet away from it becomes pretty complicated.

I think that once we have some Neighborhood Protection Overlays in place,
there will be a variety of examples folks can draw on, with specific
language about how you get spacing and buffers and even something as
intangible as "character."

Regards, pat