INC NEWS - Letter of notification to Fairfield re. Herndon Road rezoning

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 17:38:39 EST 2007

Thank you so much for that clarification. That is good
news.

So, let me get this straight...The planning department
must provide notification of ALL rezoning applications
(and plan ammendments) to surrounding neighborhoods?
This is good to know.

So two more questions (sorry if I'm starting to annoy
you)

1) The staff report lists the following as having been
notified about the Scott Mill Development:
Letter to adjacent property owners, to 600 ft.
Lake Park Neighborhood Assn.
Jordan Lake Resource Mgmt.
Durham Justice and Fairness Inter-Neighborhood Assn.
Inter-Neighborhood Council
Durham People's Alliance

There were many more neighborhoods than Lake Park
represented at the Scott Mill public hearing last
night. Yet, we did not receive notification from the
Planning Department.

I presume this is because we are not within 600 feet
from the planned development. Why is it that only
HOMES but not NEIGHBORHOODS within 1000 feet are to be
notified? I realized this was in the UDO before, but
this is my first experience with it in practice. It
seems 600 feet is an awfully close proximity, and that
other neighborhoods are certainly concerned and
affected and would appreciate notification as well.

2) Additionally, I have reports that the rezoning
signs placed on the properties are often hard to read
and the zoning case number is at the bottom and often
covered by weeds or grass. Not a complaint, just FYI.

I'm not sure I'd know to look for a rezoning sign if
there were no other physical indication that the
property were going to be rezoned.

Any way to get these signs put up in the same manner
as temporary construction signs, speed limit signs,
neighborhood watch signs, no parking signs, etc? That
would certainly aid in informing surrounding
neighborhoods (and those that are beyond 600 feet).

Thanks again for your openness and your continued
discussion of this issue.

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
Fairfield
mmr121570 at yahoo.com

--- "Duke, Frank" <Frank.Duke at durhamnc.gov> wrote:

> Your understanding is incomplete. The developer is
> required to have a
> neighborhood meeting to describe his proposed
> development if it would
> require a plan amendment or trip a TIA. That meeting
> must occur before
> the developer can submit the applications for the
> project.
>
> Notice is provided to neighborhoods and the owners
> of surrounding
> properties of every plan amendment, zoning map
> change, use permit,
> variance, historic designation, and site plan (where
> the developer is
> seeking any discretionary approval, such as fill in
> the floodplain).
> Notice is provided not be the developer, but by the
> Planning Department.
>
> Frank Duke, AICP
> City-County Planning Director

=== message truncated ===